Friday, April 24, 2009

My first post...


Well I have been reading blogs for some time now. My wife has been a really diehard blogger for some time now (http://ourdish.blogspot.com) but I always resisted. However for the last few months I have been feeling the desire to start my own blog. When I tell people that I am going to start a blog the most common response I get is "Why?"

The first few times that I was presented with this response I didn’t really know what to say and saying "because I wanna" just didnt seem to be adequate. As I started to think about the kinds of things I would blog about and what form I wanted this blog to take I settled on some reasons why I think this blog will be good for me.

To contribute back to the community...

In some things I can be somewhat of an idealist, and in thinking that my small contribution can be valuable is one of those things. I have been a benefactor of the internet for so long and I feel it is only fair that I can pass on what I know/learn and create a place were we can discuss it all together. For this reason I have allowed anonymous posters to post comments if they so desire. So comment!

To disseminate information...

If you know me you know that I like to send out corny information from time to time. Either technical things I find interesting or other tid-bits of information that I find entertaining and that I think you might enjoy too. This blog will save you from any further such emails. (You're welcome.)

To grow...

Doing this blog will give me the opportunity to keep a journal in some ways but also give me a reason to sit and think about some concepts well enough to write them out in some kind of semi-intelligent manner. If you can't describe a concept then you probably don't really understand it either. This blog will help me learn more than I would if I allowed myself to just casually absorb the lessons and challenges that I am presented with.

So, what do I want this blog to cover? Well, pretty much whatever I want. I'm not really going to cover my personal life (my wife does that better than I could) and I'm not going to promise that this post will always be 100% technically focused. I plan to post about my projects and lessons I learn. I plan to post about things that I think geeks would find interesting. I plan to post things that others in the software industry might find entertaining. You may not always agree with my posts and I'm ok with that. But if you don’t agree or have a question please feel free to post. Other than that, welcome to my geek life.

2 comments:

  1. A mi me parece bien que hagas algo asi. Espero no mas que este blog siempre sea interesante. Si llega el dia en que ya no sea intersante, yo empezare a dejar mensajes inapropriados aqui en el blog hasta que el dueƱo me impida de dejarlos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to continue to post here, dont worry. I have a whole list of posts and points I want to make. :P

    ReplyDelete